Why not? To be honest, from my own experience, I have realized that freelancing has nothing to do with age or qualification. You need to be self driven with a sense of independence, wanting to learn something new all the time and have an appetite to compete. If you have these qualities, freelancing can definitely be a good career choice.
Having said that, you need to know what all categories are in demand and if you have skills to meet those particular projects. I am listing some of the on demand freelancing jobs to begin with:
- Logo design
- Graphics design
- Web design
- Web development
- Content writing
- Internet Marketing
- Search engine optimization
- Digital media marketing
- Data entry
The ones above mentioned can be considered as hot cake in today’s freelancing market. We can treat them as parent categories because there are a lot of other associated sub-categories which fall under them. Let us take an example of website development and see what it has to offer:
Under website development, there are a lot of on-demand projects that are posted on various marketplaces such as Freelancer.com and Upwork. I am going to compile a list of popular freelancing marketplaces and explain their pros and cons in depth in one of my next articles.
As we all know, getting a website done is important for anyone that would like to get online and make their presence felt in an anticipation of potential partners and clients getting in touch with them. We can compare the process of building website with that of SDLC which is used for software development (System Development Life Cycle). If you choose to become an aspiring website designer or developer, you need to have some specific skill sets along with strong or decent communication skills to be able to send proposals.
WordPress in short is a website building open source tool which is free to use and helps you build and maintain professional websites. I am going to write an in depth article on what is wordpress, what are its advantages, how you can learn wordpress and become a successful freelancer.
Coming back to the actual question I passed out of college and want to do freelancing, is it a good idea? I would say ‘NO’ for the following reasons:
- You have a craving to get placed in a corporate after passing out of college
- You are someone that thinks a secured job is better
- You want to do freelancing, but lack the zeal and enthusiasm
- You have heard or read bad things about freelancing (most of them are not true)
- You have family commitments and can’t take risk
- You don’t have any specific skill-set or lack confidence in your communication skills
Lets now look at ‘Yes’ for the following reasons:
- If you would like to be independent, yet can be committed at what you do
- If you give more importance to learning than earning in the initial stages (The more you learn, the more you can earn)
- If you are good at what you do and believe you can reach out to clients and win their trust with never say die attitude
- If you have decent communication skills
- If you have no family burden or commitments
- If you have a year or 2 on hand to give it your best shot
- If you have an appetite for learning something new all the time
- If you would like to build a team over a period of time and make your freelancing career scalable
While these are some of the many reasons one can think of, freelancing is definitely worth giving a try because a lot of college passouts get dejected in interviews and often wonder what they could do instead of being idle. If you have been rejected, it is not because you are bad, because you are not inline in one or more aspects for the job being offered and there might be someone better suited for that role. But it shouldn’t deter you from doing what you would love to do and freelancing is definitely a great option for students and aspiring professionals that would like to love what they do instead of doing a nine to five job due to a feel of compulsion or obligation
If you need any kind of assistance or have any queries about “I passed out of college and want to do freelancing, is it a good idea?” get in touch with me and I will be glad to assist you!